Yay! I fixed my lamp! Nope, it wasn’t broken, just hideous! It surely didn’t start out hideous, I can take ALL the credit for that. Me and my impatient self. Let me show you how my lamp started out when I first acquired it.
Here it is when I brought it home from the yard sale. Do you remember I told you I bought this lamp with the shade for only $3.00? I would have bought it at the $5.00 they originally had it priced at but they offered it to me for less. It was closing time and they certainly didn’t want to take it back inside. I really liked it as it was but wanted to give a little something extra special.
So I added glaze to it! I used my Burt Sienna glaze and really should have known better but I was trying to use what I had on hand. It wasn’t a horrible look but was waaaay bronzier then I wanted it. I just kept thinking in my head I should have used a Mocha glaze.
This is how it looked going on…
This is how it looked after drying a few days, very bronze!
I let it sit as it was for the summer until a few weeks ago when I finally went out and bought some Mocha glaze. For some strange reason I seemed to think I could just add the Mocha right over the Burnt Sienna and all my troubles would be solved. I probably came to this conclusion after trying to wipe off the Burnt Sienna but it wasn’t coming off easily. I thought to myself, I’ll just cover it up then! So I did, and it certainly wasn’t as bronze as it was before but…
This is what I ended up with after two coats of Mocha glaze when I made myself stop and take a breather. It sooo wasn’t turning out the way I had envisioned it in my head! It was time for a break and to rethink this project.
I really wanted to just add an off white glaze and be done with it. But I wasn’t thrilled with the streaks from the glaze that I left on the lamp either, I left too many! Since the glaze was not wiping off as easy as I had thought it would I was contemplating starting over. You know, spray painting the whole lamp and then doing a mocha glaze. But there had to be an easier way. Then I saw the lamps that Kim @ Savvy Southern Style did and realized what I needed to do, so I did it and Woohoo!
I went down to the basement and picked up a fresh piece of sandpaper and went to town. I sanded and buffed until I got the look I wanted and then added the off white glaze. Perfecto! Thank you Kim, sanding was the extra step I had not thought of. It really gave the lamp a wonderful blended look and helped the final coat of glaze achieve the look I knew it would! I really need to work on being less impatient!
While I like some streaking I wasn’t digging the whole lamp being as streaked as I had it before. Not any more though!
I love having the gold shine through again too. I have lots of gold frames and accents in my dining room where this lamp is. The gold of the lamp was never really the problem I just didn’t want a solid gold colored lamp.
I think it looks aged to perfection now!
And the off white glaze on top softens the whole look beautifully.
Whew! I am finally well pleased with this project!
Follow the link above for more wonderful stories of change.
Ooops! I almost forgot..I finished all the yellow pillows for the couches! This project is not totally finished since I still have the red pillows to do yet, but I thought you’d like to see a little more progress. Amazing how much easier it is to sew in a room with air conditioning that works.
Looking better, 4 down and 4 more to go!
Thanks for stopping by, please leave me a note if you do! Hope you had a great weekend too!