Look what I made! I am so excited! I have been seeing all these wonderful tassels out there that our blogging friends are making and have wanted to do one myself. I even saw some for sale at Michaels that look very much like the tassels everyone in blogland is selling. They were not nearly as nice though!
I have been putting it together in my head for a few weeks now and knew how I was going to do it, just not too sure how it was going to all come together. So I finally sat down Sunday afternoon and whipped out all the items I thought I would use.
I knew I wanted to make a Halloween tassel and remembered I had some small statue figures in my Halloween box. I decided to go ahead an unpack a few more of the smaller items too.
Then I pulled out all the ribbons I thought might be the best options to use. Turns out I didn’t quite have the size or colors I really wanted to use, but I wasn’t going to let that stop me this time. I was determined to do this without paying a dime, using things I already had.
First up was this Styrofoam base. It was thicker then this but I cut it in half. Now I have another piece I can use for the next one.
Next item I used was a doily similar to the one above except it was an off white one. I have a few more of these just sitting around from a project I was going to make many many years ago.
The next thing I used was this beaded trim. I just gotta have a little bling you know!
Then out came the glue gun.
First I glued the doily over the Styrofoam then glued the ribbon around it. In retrospect I wish I had glued the beaded trim around the end of the doily to make it longer since I did have more that would have gone around that perimeter easily enough. Oh well, this is a learning project.
Then I added these ribbons I had left over from other decorating around the house.
Then I cut this fabric into strips to use. I only needed a small amount of this. I have had this from a costume I made for Halloween year ago. It’s not burlap but sure looks a lot like it doesn’t it? I forgot all about it until I saw several of your projects decorated with burlap and then remembered I had it. Yippee!
I then glued the figure to the top and a little something extra, I’ll show you that in a minute. First, let me show you one more step I did on the bottom.
I turned it over and painted the bottom with this decoupage glue. That way the Styrofoam will not shed so easily. I know there’s other steps I probably should have take to prevent that but that’s just what I did.
And here it is before attaching the hanging ribbon.
I kinda like him just like this too. He makes an excellent candle topper, don’t you think?
Here’s the little something extra I added. I went through my buttons to see what I had, and found this old upholstery tack with a nice brown and rust fabric already on it. Easy peasy, all I had to do was push it right in!
Now here it is, with a hanging ribbon attached. I just attached the ribbon around his hat. I think if I were going to use him permanently as a tassel I would attach a ring to his head. I actually even have small extra rings in my jewelry box, but I’m not committed to that idea yet.
I just love it! I know it’s not as wonderful as all the beautiful ones for sale by all of you pros, but this is my first attempt and I am feeling pretty good about it. I hope you like it too..
What a fun way to spend a rainy Sunday afternoon!
There always something changing on Mondays!
Have a great week!